Monday, August 3, 2009

Turkey Tacos on a Monday Afternoon

Turkey Tacos on a Monday Afternoon

I devised this recipe after much trial and error. I wanted to give my favorite foods a healthy makeover. So I replaced ground turkey in a variety of recipes. Ground turkey tastes like whatever you cook with it so it’s extremely versatile. I use it in everything now to take the place of ground beef.

Turkey Taco Meat

3lbs ground turkey
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes (juice and all)
1 4oz can diced green chilies
1 6oz can Mexican hot tomato sauce (I use El Pato sauce or you can use your favorite salsa)
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
½ tsp pepper
4 cloves minced garlic (I use Trader Joes crushed garlic in a jar)

In a large non-stick skillet brown the ground turkey until fully cooked.
I mash my meat with a potato masher as I like it in small pieces (not necessary if you like your meat more chunky)
Add all ingredients and mix well.
Let simmer on low heat for ½ hour checking frequently as not to let it burn

Enjoy with your favorite shells and toppings or make a super healthy taco salad. Toppings shown are: romaine lettuce (much more vitamins!), tomatoes, sour cream, three cheese blend (I was out of queso fresco which is my fave!)

El Pato sauce can be found online and I highly recommend it. I use it in place of salsa on everything as it ads great flavor and just enough bite without being too much. Look for it in the Mexican foods section of your grocer or buy it online it’s very inexpensive. http://www.mexgrocer.com/1276.html



I gave the stand and stuff shells a try. They actually did stand so I could stuff them ha ha. I toasted them in the over according to the box directions and they were nice and crisp. I used to fry my own shells.. but these are much lower in calories due to less oil and they have no trans fats!

Enjoy and please let me know what you think. I know you will love it!

Blessings for the day!

Love,

Vanessa
http://www.craftycreative.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. Vanessa,
    I agree with you 100% turkey works great in the place of hamburger. This looks delicious and I like the squared off bottoms on the hard tortilla shells.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll try your recipe tonite, Vanessa. I always use ground turkey in place of beef anyway. I'll let you know how it turns out!! :)
    ~S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It is even better the next day! So I never waste the leftovers :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from all of you!! So please drop a comment below: